There are six versions of this song with Sandy playing piano on all of them:
- Sandy recorded a demo version at The Manor, Oxfordshire in Spring 1972 prior to Sandy. Here she ended the second and third verse with the “floating souls” lines that disappeared in the later versions. This recording was finally released in 2004 on A Boxful of Treasures.
- On the studio version Sandy was accompanied by an orchestra (strings arranged by Harry Robinson). This was released on Sandy an included in The Best of Sandy Denny and on the 2CD anthology No More Sad Refrains.
- A live version recorded at the Paris Theatre, London, on 16 March 1972 for BBC “Radio 1 in Concert” and broadcast on 25 March 1972 was released in 1997 on The BBC Sessions 1971-73 and in 2007 on the 3CD+DVD set Live at the BBC.
- A live recording from 13 June 1972 for the BBC 2 TV show “Old Grey Whistle Test” was also included in Live at the BBC.
- The Live at the BBC box set contains a further live recording from November 1972 for the BBC Radio 1 show “Sounds on Sunday”, hosted by Johnny Moran, and broadcast on 3 December 1972.
- Another live version is from Sandy's final concert at the Royalty Theatre on 27 November 1977 and appears on the Who Knows Where the Time Goes? box set, on The Attic Tracks Vol. 3 and on Gold Dust - Live at the Royalty.
- The Julie July Band on their CD Who Knows Where the Time Goes? (July 2018)
Sorry, I can't show the lyrics here as I don't have the copyright owners' permission to publish them. But please feel free and ask me to send you the song's lyrics.